Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pond Life at The Rock Ranch ...

We were up extra early Tuesday morning, at least I was, to get all ready for our field trip to The Rock Ranch for the Pond Life Eco-Adventure

Five lunches packed, seven containers filled with water, diapers, wipes, the stroller and much more later, we were all packed in the car and ready to go. 

This was our first time to The Rock Ranch, so everything was all new for us. 

In the beginning we were placed with the wrong group, but once we were shipped back to the right spot on the bumpiest hayride ever, we were all ready to go explore the ponds! 

The boys were able to learn about the frog's lifecycle, turtles, the ecosystem and so much more! 
...

Our first stop was to learn about all of the different animals that live in the pond. 







The kids were all given buckets, nets and microscopes and were given the opportunity to explore in the pond. I wish they were given more time at this station, it took the boys each a while to get stuff in their buckets, strained and under the scope. And I don't think any of mine actually got a tadpole to look at. Kolt got a leach though. Ick!







All of the big kids were able to walk across the creek. I'd say those were some brave workers there to take that task on ... 






The worm station was my favorite for two reasons: the kids were really able to get in the dirt and explore and I learned a lot about worms. I was fascinated that worms have five hearts and the boys, of course, were fascinated that worm poop is very nutritious. 
Go figure ... 







I'm not gonna lie. During the station I was under the shade trees having a snack. Momma gets hungry! So I missed out on the majority of the learning part of this one. All I know is, the kids made a web and Kolt was the only one to not get eaten up ... 





 And here are a few extra ones from the day ... 





1 comment: