Thursday, June 16, 2016

Another Green Thumb ...


Some of my most favorite childhood memories happened in Gardens.


Growing up, at the top left corner of our yard held our Family Garden. And every year I'd watch my Daddy till the ground, make the rows, plant the seeds and I'd watch it grow. 

I can remember the compost pile and having to run potato scrapings up there after my Mama would make mashed potatoes for dinner. I can remember running through the corn stalks and playing hide and go seek in them, picking okra and watching the tomatoes go from green to red.


Then over at my Grandma and Grandpa's house stood their garden and in my eyes, it was always so grand. And might I add, it's still there today. They're 86 and 91 and still grow their garden every year. Talk about Life Goals! 

I can remember going to Grandma and Grandpa's house and sitting in a circle while we all shucked corn and Grandma at the sink cutting it off the ears to make her Cream Corn. I can remember walking with her, scissors in hand, to cut fresh gladiolas for our kitchen table. I can remember watching my Grandpa, squatted down, picking his crops. 


A few years ago Travis built us a Box Garden and that first year we had it, for the space we were given, I actually did pretty good. I had tons of okra, zucchini, cucumbers, squash and bell peppers. All of our favorites! 

The second and third year were blah. Heck, I didn't know you needed to fix the soil and add more to it and not plant the same plants in the same spot two years in a row and yada, yada, yada. Obviously, I had a lot to learn! 


I was determined to get my green thumb out again this season and get some homegrown food. And what do you know? Kohen is obsessed with our little garden. Reminds me of me. Every morning he helps me water the plants, checks to see if our squash grew, counts the prickly cucumbers and watches the tomatoes turn from green to red. 

This was one thing I always wanted to be a part of our household; knowing where food comes from and being able to watch something go from a tiny seed to something on our kitchen table. And I'm thankful we're doing just that ...




Kohen's love for Gardening goes from the crops in the morning to the flowers in the evening. Give that kid a water hose and he's as content as can be. 




It's like ... our Bonding Time


My heart gets all mushy from memories and he gets all excited and we end up hugging it out and he says, "I love you Mommy" and then makes those kissing sounds and his adorable little fishy lips and then its the perfect timing because it's usually bedtime after the flowers get watered and everybody is in a lovey mood and I think maybe for a split second he isn't an Emotionally Unstable Toddler and ... I'm runnin' on here. But you get the picture.


Gardening and Flowers and Kohen are good for my Soul. 

The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment