Tuesday, November 11, 2014

As Your Day ...

If you follow me on Facebook, you may or may not have seen lots of updates lately with the hashtag #jesuscalling at the end. 

If you don't have a devotion book you adore, get this one.

Jesus Calling is the sweetest, most tender devotion book I have ever read. Man or woman, Daddy or Momma, Grandmother, Teacher, Old or Young - this book is for us all. 

Today's devotion hit me hard and I wanted to share it with you. It read like this:

          "Do not let any set of circumstances intimidate you. The more challenging your day, the more of My Power I place at your disposal. You seem to think that I empower you equally each day, but this is not so. Your tendency upon awakening is to assess the difficulties ahead of you, measuring them against your average strength. This is an exercise in unreality. 
           I know what each of your days will contain, and I empower you accordingly. The degree to which I strengthen you on a given day is based mainly on two variables: the difficulty of your circumstances and your willingness to depend on Me for help.  Try to view challenging days as opportunities to receive more of My Power than usual. Look to Me for all that you need, and watch to see what I will do. As your day, so shall your strength be."

It is that last line that caught my attention. I almost didn't understand it at first. As your day, so shall your strength be. I read that one line over and over. It wasn't until I read in Deuteronomy 33 that I understood what this statement meant. The Bible reads, " Your sandals shall be iron and bronze; as your days, so shall your strength be. There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides the heavens to help you, and in His excellency on the clouds. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms ..."

We have a Father who knows our days ahead of us, who knows the battles we will face. He knows when we need a double dose of His strength, love and power. He knows. Isn't that great? Why in the world do we not lean on Him more? This morning I learned I am going to need Him more some days than others. And He is okay with that. He is already geared up and waiting with the extra umph I'm gonna need that day.


Tonight, Travis and I gathered up the kiddos (minus one who was with MawMaw at karate) and went for a bike ride around the neighborhood. Kruz insisted on riding his own bike, so instead of telling him not to (knowing he would tire out quickly) I rooted him on. I "strengthened" him with my words and for the beginning of the ride, that was all he needed.


Half way through the neighborhood, his little legs tired out and he was starting to lag behind. As he became more and more discouraged, I knew my words were no longer enough. The Hubs loaded up his bike and let him ride the rest of the way with Kohen and Khloe. We knew him well enough to know when he needed extra strength from us, an extra push, as our Heavenly Father does the same way with us. 


So that line. That one line. It means the world to me now. I am reassured that God gives me the exact amount of strength I need each day. 

All we have to do is ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment